Artist Profile: John Miro

I'm really liking this blog thing, its been really theraputic to me. So I'm really going to try and post more in here from now on. Make it something I have to do. Not only am I getting knowledge out there to people but I'm learning a lot myself. So apart from talking about design's and such that I like, I also want to do a profile each day on an artist, architect, etc. So today I'm starting with John Miro



I have discovered this artisit that has the style I wish I had, when I paint. All his stuff seems so interesting to me, and I wanted to research it all so much I thought I'd talk a bit about him and show some work, maybe exsaplain the work if I find out anything about them.

Joan Miró Ferrà was born April 20, 1893 in Barcelona, and died December 25, 1983. He was a Spanish Catalan painter, sculptor, and ceramist born in Barcelona. My personal
favorite work is some of his paintings. Miro was among the first artists to develop automatic drawing as a way to undo previous established techniques in painting.

Miró was among the first artists to develop automatic drawing as a way to undo previous established techniques in painting, and thus, with André Masson, represented the beginning of Surrealism as an art movement. He was quoted as saying
"The assassination of painting is derived from a dislike of bourgeois art of any kind, used as a way to promote propaganda and cultural identity among the wealthy." He was also quoted as saying "I will break their guitar," referring to Picasso's paintings, with the intent to attack the popularity and appropriation of Picasso's art by politics.



"The spectacle of the sky overwhelms me. I'm overwhelmed when I see, in an immense sky, the crescent of the moon, or the sun. There, in my pictures, tiny forms in huge empty spaces. Empty spaces, empty horizons, empty plains - everything which is bare has always greatly impressed me." - Joan Miró, 1958, quoted in Twentieth-Century Artists on Art.




Miro saw his work as four-dimensional paintings as a theoretical type of painting Miró proposed in which painting would transcend its two-dimensionality and even the three-dimensionality of sculpture.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts