Safari Chairs

A couple months ago I purchased some Safari Chairs. They are not the Kaare Klint Safari Chairs but made by Gold Medal Folding Furniture Company. I got them for a good deal but need to fix them up big time. As you can see one is a light blue and one is red Vinyl thats dirty and falling apart. The blue chair has a big rip down the middle of the seat and the vinyl is filthy.

____



I originally had plans on having someone in Vermont reupholstering the chairs for me, but I got this job in Chicago and was never able to get the chairs to her in time. Now I'm here in Chicago and just spent a bundle load on moving expenses but really want to get these chairs fixed up at the same time. I had a hard time deciding on if I wanted to buy a hide of leather and upholster the chairs in leather or if I was fine with buying a good vinyl in the meantime and maybe in 5 years reupholster them again in leather. I've landed on buying vinyl. I've decided on an Architex- Authentec Vinyl called Dakota- Colour Trail Blazer.


So now that I've decided on the vinyl finish and colour it came down to finding someone to reupholster the chairs, but before I even sent photos to places I thought hmm your hands on maybe you could do this work. Save yourself a bunch of money and then you can say you did the work yourself. So thats where I'm at, I've bought myself a sewing machine and I plan on today practicing my seams since I have not sewn since high school over ten years ago. 


The photo above is a photo of the same type of Safari chair I have on FirstDibs, which were already sold so I couldn't find out how much they went for. I plan on stripping the wood legs myself and staining them to a similar finish, and I plan on making a few tweaks to make them a bit more to my liking. I'm really excited for this project and hopefully I don't screw it up where I eventually need to go to get it done professionally. I am feeling pretty confident the only part i'm worried about is the metal brackets that hold the chair together, they are a bit rusted but I'll look into how to fix that. 

Heres to having some awesome chairs in a month or so hopefully!!!!

Also here is a bonus picture of Andi trying to be a star while I was photographing the chairs.


-Jess


Comments

  1. Any update on these? I just scored 2 of these chairs on CL and was wondering if I would be able to DIY... stumbled upon your blog doing a google search :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eliza, yes I have done a lot of work to them, but not as much as I'd like to all this time later. I ended up purchased a sewing machine and tried to save some money and didn't buy a machine strong enough to do upholstery work, so it kept seizing up on me and I couldn't get the work done. So I ended up bringing the vinyl I purchased to a local guy in Chicago and he gave me a great price. As for stripping the paint off the legs I've slacked on that part but plan on finally finishing it eventually. I need the space to really go to town sanding the old paint off. Here is a link to what they looked like reupholstered though, second photo down.

      Good Luck!!!

      http://www.jessanninteriors.com/ashland-home.html

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts